Saturday, June 23, 2007

Things My Wal-Mart in Beijing Has That Your American Wal-Mart Probably Doesn't

-Jellyfish
-Whole pig carcasses
-Garlic dish soap (I guess it kind of makes sense; you're just going to eat off them later so they might as well be garlicky)
-Connection to a subway stop
-Baby peeing in trash can
-One curious phenomenon in China that is found in Wal-Mart but also all over is the habit of requiring the ladies who give out free samples to promote a product to basically dress up as the product they're promoting. Not that the Lipton tea girls dress up as cups of tea or anything, but they wear bright yellow dresses the color of the Lipton box with company logos on them. I've never seen a person handing out samples who wasn't a) young and female b) dressed up to match the product packaging c) in a miniskirt and sometimes also color-coordinated go-go boots. I kid you not. I don't think I could deal with dressing up every day to be color-coordinated with, say, a bottle of Minute Maid, but I am not Chinese.
-"tasty tuna tidbits"...packaged like a candy and unrefrigerated, so I really don't know what they could possibly be like:


















(I just got major deja vu thinking about blogging about tuna tidbits, but I'm pretty sure I've never done it before)

and conversely, Things Your American Wal-Mart Surely Has But My Beijing Wal-Mart Is Sadly Lacking:
-whole-grain bread

When I get home I am going to eat bread with so many grains you won't even be able to think about them all at once!! Living in China isn't the best for me nutritionally, I'm afraid.

No comments: