Sunday, July 15, 2007

Fabulous Times in Finland

I happen to be in Finland at the moment, although only for another hour or two...I'm on my way to Delhi and have a big old layover in Helsinki (it's totally on the way to India!) so I'm just chillin' and absorbing some Finnishness. The first thing I noticed was that the little stick figure women on the women's bathroom sign are wearing short little skirts instead of the traditional large triangular dress. Those scandalous Finns! Since I can't leave the airport, I can't go to a sauna or see moose or anything, but fortunately the airport is full of Finnish people, who keep speaking Finnish, which is super fun to listen to. I even successfully pretended to be a Finnish person! I didn't think I looked Finnish, but I talked to a Finnish girl on the plane over and she said she totally would have thought I was Finnish, so with my clever disguise and use of the lone Finnish word in my vocabulary (kahvi, which means coffee and which I learned from listening to the stewardesses on the plane), I bought coffee at the airport coffee shop! The woman said bunches of things to me in Finnish and I guessed that she was telling me how much the coffee was, so I used my mad skillz to read the price off the little screen and pretend that I'm totally familiar with euros and definitely don't have to squint at the little numbers on the coins to tell how much they're worth, no sirree! She thanked me in Finnish (at least I'm presuming she said "thank you," but she could have been saying "go away" or "grapefruit" or "bring me the fish of your brother Raoul" for all I know) and I left to find milk and sugar, highly pleased with myself. I think I like Finland. Maybe I will visit some other time and stay for more than five hours. And now, I am off to buy a little Finnish chocolate and head to my gate, and this post is, shall we say (you knew it was inevitable)...Finnished.

4 comments:

Josh said...

Too bad you weren't there in the wintertime - you would have gotten to see HEL freeze over. :-)

Anonymous said...

I <3 Finnish folk music. It's silly.

jacki merchant said...

hahah Finnished. you and your puns.

props for the Dave Barry reference.

jacki merchant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.