Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Not About Xinjiang

So Sarah and the Lehigh choir were in Beijing this past weekend, which was super awesome! I took them to get street food and we went to karaoke (which is fabulous with choir people) and it was really good practice for my Chinese as well as being all kinds of fun. Their concert was on Sunday night and it was pretty excellent...there were quite a few times when me and Quynh and Jacqui felt that we might be the only people in the audience getting the musical jokes (the Chinese didn't respond much to the Addams Family theme song or even Hava Nagila in the big medley thinger), but I feel that we appreciated it enough for the entire audience. There was, however, a downside to having Sarah and Lehigh peeps around, which was that I didn't sleep nearly as much as usual and I did basically no academic work all weekend, so the past 2 days I've been working really hard to catch up and I'm kind of tired.

Last night we went out for Peking duck (my first time eating it, can you believe it?), and I think I ate a little too much food because later that night I felt a little yucky. I couldn't concentrate on my homework and studying, so I set my alarm to wake up a little early and figured I'd finish it in the morning. Well, this morning I successfully got up early, and figured I'd take a quick shower and then get to work. Unfortunately, when I finished my shower, I was horrified to find that the bathroom was flooded, and not just the bathroom, but most of the rest of our room as well. It seems that we had some problems with our drain, but my roomie and I were kind of busy cleaning up and finding someone to help us fix it that I never had time to do my studying. Whoops. But I arrived late to my first class, so I missed the quiz anyway. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I think the teacher can forgive me, as I was busy dealing with a flooded room. It's all fine and dry now, and Quynh and I joked that it was all just an ingenious strategy to get the maids to actually clean our floor. Hen hao.

I almost forgot that I'm supposed to give a speech on something tomorrow in Hanyu class and I haven't prepared at all. I think I'll talk about my spring break, so I can probably mostly just wing it, but maybe I should look up some of the words I'll want to use or something. Good times.

No comments: