Friday, March 6, 2009

Taipei in Pictures

Entering Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall...pretty, no?




Wouldn't you want your memorial to include a wax sculpture of you working in your office? The correct answer is yes.


Taipei 101, tallest building in the world!! (for now)


The view from the top...Taipei is hazy


My father, tallest father in the world!!


Outside the National Palace Museum, home to all those historical relics that got spirited out of mainland China to Taiwan.


My favorite piece in the Palace Museum (and probably their favorite piece to publicize) was definitely the jadeite cabbage. I know it sounds silly, but up close it is pretty awesome.


Also up there in the Amazingly Realistic Food Carved out of Stone category is this sculpture (a.k.a. the Meat-Shaped Stone) that is seriously a dead ringer for a piece of fatty pork:

As a food, I think fatty pork is pretty gross, but this is cool anyway.

After not-quite-2 days in Taipei, the time finally came for my parents to start making their way home to the States, leaving me with a lot of blogs to write and a new semester of school on my hands, hence the slow progress of the former. Sorry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In that second photo, the one where Chiang Kai-Shek is sitting there looking like Lincoln, there is a wreath behind us that makes me look like I have seriously long ears or something. We have another photo of Rebek and me in that same location, only with Rebek on the left and I still have strange wreath-head. What is with that?

Rebekah said...

it's okay, you still look pretty good with long ears