Tuesday, April 24, 2007

In case you were tired of my non-stop Chinese adventures

Today I didn't really do anything exciting. I almost lost consciousness in the first half of my Hanyu class, and was only saved by our 10-minute rest period in the middle of class, when I took a super power nap until Ren Bai Ge threw a piece of paper at my head, at which point I continued to sleep because I just didn't care. I was supposed to go volunteer again at the home for babies with medical problems, but I woke up so incredibly ganmao (ganmao=to have a cold) this morning that I had to cancel because I didn't want to get babies sick. I finished all my homework by 1 pm and took a 4-hour nap this afternoon, which ruled. Also I ate spicy food to clear out my sinuses and rode my bicycle. I love having a bicycle. I wish I had gotten one sooner - it's so much faster to get around campus, and BeiDa is really well suited for bikes because it's very flat and there are lots of places to park them because everybody in China has a bike.

Unrelated: Today in Hanyu we learned the word chai, which means "to tear apart," and I had an epiphany because I had seen that character written on all the buildings in a little neighborhood by my church and wondered what it meant, but it turns out they must be marked for demolition. My teacher joked that some people say that's why the country is called Chai-na. Sad but accurate...

No comments: