Tuesday, March 6, 2007

I met my tutor finally!!

My tutor couldn't come to the meeting when everyone else's tutors came to meet them, and she sent me a note and then we arranged a meeting on the phone, but I hadn't ever met her until tonight! Her name is Joy and she is so adorable and nice and I love her!! She thinks I am hen aixiao (good-natured, I think) and she says that I am like a cartoon, I think because I make silly noises and laugh a lot and talk with my hands. We talked about a lot of random stuff...at one point we talked about monopolies and anti-trust laws...I forget how we got onto the topic, but she said that China doesn't have anti-trust laws because so recently the government ran all the industries, so government companies still have monopolies. Oh! I remember, we were talking about CCTV, because it is the *official* TV station, and I told her about watching it in Chinese class. And she helped me with my homework that I was soooo confused by and now it is all clear to me! Hooray!

Today was a little bit of a discouraging day before, because I was really confused in my Hanyu class (that was the one that had the confusing homework), and we were working in pairs and I felt like I wasn't bringing any knowledge whatsoever to the partnership, and I forgot to do my little assignment for Kouyu, but fortunately we got out of Hanyu early so I got it done and it was all good. I still felt really bad though, and really dumb for forgetting homework on the very first night, like it didn't bode well for the rest of the semester. I was just confused all over the place earlier today, because I got a text message from Jacqui but I couldn't call the number back so I called what I had in my phone book as her number, but it turned out to be Annie's number except I didn't realize it until after I had finished talking to her and I was all kinds of confused, and then I went to pick up my laundry and I couldn't find the laundry place for a while and then it was right in front of me the whole time, I had just thought that that building was a bank so I didn't bother trying to read the characters on the sign that said that it was a laundry place. Anyway, in the end it was okay and everything was straightened out and I got my clothes, but I felt kind of harried this morning and early afternoon, and it was bu hao. But I took a little rest/pseudo-nap this afternoon, and after meeting Joy I just totally feel better. It really put me in a good mood, because I think I will learn a lot from her. And boy do I have a lot to learn! But at least for tonight my homework makes sense. I still haven't had dinner yet though, and it's 9 pm...I'm not really hungry, I kind of ate a lot of random food this afternoon, but if I don't get food now I won't be able to later because the places that are still open close at 10. Whatevs. I need to look up different kinds of vegetables so I can order food better...I had pork and leek dumplings today for lunch but I don't know how to say the first character of leek, which is bu hao because I like leeks. I need a crash course in food words.

Ooh, I found the type of wheat digestive crackers that I like at Wu-Mei...I promise that wheat digestive crackers are a bazillion times tastier than they sound. They are delicious and a little bit buttery tasting...hen hao!

No comments: