Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Insane Chinese Acrobatics Show

The past few days I was pretty ganmao (had a cold, for you silly English speakers), and it was very un-fun, especially last night when I magically additionally acquired a hurty tummy for reasons unknown, and I hadn't been getting much sleep, and I was generally a pathetic excuse for a human being. I tried to study some, but couldn't concentrate, so I decided just to go to bed and do my studying in the break I have between my first two classes on Wednesday. In the morning I got up an hour later than my alarm (although I made it across campus to my class on time because I am a speedwalking ninja!) and as soon as I got back from class I slept more instead of studying. Yay! It was all okay though because it turned out that my Hanyu quiz wasn't actually today, and I didn't have to perform the dialogue I had been trying to memorize with Kim for Tingli. So life was good, and I had some coffee and felt lots better, and after class I went with CIEE to see an amazing acrobatics show!!!!

It's hard to describe the mad skillz involved in the ridiculousness of this acrobatic show, but basically everyone involved had INSANE muscles and balance and coordination and flexibility. I have no idea how they can train to do this stuff without messing it up and breaking all their bones like 538790285739082 times. Maybe they do. Anyway, after a few acts I remembered that I had brought a camera and perhaps might want to take some pictures. So I did.

Fun balance-y flippy dudes, including some quite remarkable small boys:














Happy spinning-plate ladies!














Multi-level foot juggling!














Ridiculous upper body strength and balance and flexibility, and that thing he's balancing on is three little blocks that aren't attached to each other! Later he somehow knocked them all out from under himself but stayed balancing on that one hand. Also, at the end of their act, this fellow stood on one hand on the back of the other guy's neck as the other guy walked on his hands down the stairs. Of course.














Annnnnnnd the finale, 8 bazillion ladies with feather-antenna hats riding on one bicycle!














So maybe I didn't get the best pictures ever, but you can take my word for the fact that the entire show was insane and unbelievable and pretty much one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I found that I was berating myself afterwards for quitting gymnastics and not learning to do a no-hands flip or balance on my chin on a pole with my legs curled over by my ears. Seriously, what was I thinking? Oh well...hen hao!

No comments: