Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Sunshine and friends and fruit on a stick

My amazing jetlag schedule of going to bed early and waking up early is failing a little bit...my alarm went off at 6:40 this morning but I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed until 7. Whatever, though, I ran a little late but I made up for it with my amazing morning hustle skillz of getting all the way to Wen Shi Lou in like 7 minutes. Hen hao! I had a quiz in Kouyu that I totally didn't know about (I could have sworn that she said our only homework was to memorize the dialogue), but whatever because my Kouyu words are all things I knew already, so there were only like 2 characters that I didn't get. Hen hao! Then I hustled my little booty back to Shao Yuan because they were taking the CIEE group picture at 9:50 and my class ended at 9:50...good planning on their part, right? I got there at like 9:58 but I was still in time to slip into the picture. Hen hao! It was sunny today and vaguely warmer and I was so happy!! Taiyang feichang hao!

I have a morning break on Mondays and Wednesdays, but today I used it to study study and finish my homework...piles of fun. Hanyu was a lot less confusing today, though. I worked with the same kid as last class and he's still all kinds of smarter than me, but at least this time I contributed instead of sitting there like a lump with a dumb look on my face. Tingli was easier today too, but it might just be because I previewed the material at home a little bit so I wouldn't be lost. Also I made friends with the dude sitting next to me, which was the only thing preventing the class from being a total snoozefest. His name is Patrik, and we determined that all the truly cool people spell their names with Ks and no Cs. Hen hao!

This evening a bunch of people ordered in but I wanted to go out and get food on campus so I ventured out on my own and ate at a place I had never been to before and figured out how to put more money on my meal card and added 50 kuai to my card. That's a little over $6 American, but it will totally last me a week...I love this country. I got a big fat baozi at dinner that was about the size of an orange, and it cost me 7 jiao, which is less than 10 cents. China is sweet. After dinner I went to Wu-Mei to get water and other groceries, and on my way out I passed the fruit-on-a-stick place and I noticed that they had something very strange-looking, and when I asked, my suspicions were confirmed...they were tomatoes on a stick, coated in sugar syrup. It seemed so gross and weird that I almost got one just to see what they were like, but my hands were full carrying 4 huge things of water. Maybe another day. Probably by the end of the semester the fruit-on-a-stick people are going to be putting all kinds of random substances on a stick figuring I will buy them if they look weird enough, because it's pretty much true.

Anywayyyyyyyyyy I should probably go study and do homework seeing as I haven't done any yet this evening and everyone else on my hall is all stressin' out over their work. If I can get done early maybe I can watch silly Korean reality TV with my roomie and go to sleep early like the old person I am inside. Feichang hao!!!

No comments: